Morgantown Criminal Defense Attorney
As a Morgantown criminal defense lawyer, I handle all kinds of cases that fall into the realm of criminal law. If you have been accused of a crime on the list below or other types of criminal charges, I would be happy to consult with you about your legal options.
- Bail and Bond Hearings: Having legal support by your side when going into a hearing where a judge sets your bail can help set your expectations and make sure your rights are protected.
- Disorderly Conduct: Disturbing the Peace: If you are engaging in disruptive behavior in public, you might face misdemeanor charges.
- Drug Possession/Distribution: Morgantown takes drug possession extremely seriously, and you are sure to face penalties if you are found possessing or giving out controlled substances. The exact penalties you face will depend on what drugs you were found with and how much.
- Other Drug Crimes: There are all sorts of other drug-related offenses you could be accused of in addition to just possessing and distributing. For instance, you could find yourself facing life-changing consequences for manufacturing or trafficking drugs.
- Open Container: If you are found possessing and consuming an alcoholic beverage in an open container, you can face misdemeanor charges. You can expect to face particularly harsh consequences if you were found with an open container while operating a vehicle.
- Underage Drinking: Anyone who is found consuming or purchasing alcohol under the age of 21 can anticipate facing a bit of jail time and costly fines. In some cases, depending on the facts of your case, it can also go on your record, such as if it is a repeated offense.
- Student Crimes: College can be a hectic time in a person’s life, and if you find yourself caught in a bad situation or making mistakes, you could be charged with a serious crime that puts an intimidating roadblock on your life and career.
- DUI: Driving while intoxicated is a serious criminal charge, and you will need a fierce, experienced attorney to stand up for you against it. If it is your first offense, you can expect a lighter sentence than if it is your second or subsequent offense, but your precise penalties will all depend on how high your blood alcohol content (BAC) was if anyone was hurt, and if there were minors in the car.
- Aggravated DUI: If you have a serious DUI offense, like reckless driving, prior convictions, or if someone was injured or killed, this is called an aggravated DUI, and you can expect serious punishments.
- Underage DUI: If you are above 21, then your BAC has to be at 0.08% or higher in order to get a DUI charge. However, if you are under 21, then any BAC above 0.02% can result in facing criminal charges.
- Assault: If you threaten someone with physical harm, whether with an object or a gesture, then you can face assault charges. Assault is different from battery because assault is the intent to hurt someone, whereas battery is the actual act of hurting them.
- Battery: If you are charged with physically harming another person, you can anticipate facing serious punishments.
- Fake ID: It is against the law to manufacture, order, possess, and make purchases with a fake ID. However, this is a common charge that young people under the age of 21 encounter. If you find yourself facing fake ID charges, they could haunt you longer than you realize unless you hire strong legal support.
- Theft: Stealing another person’s property, whether through grand theft or a small moment of shoplifting, is always against the law. Whether you face a misdemeanor or a felony charge for this offense will depend on how much you stole and what you stole.
- Crimes against people and property and any other parole violations.
Why Hire a Criminal Defense Attorney im Morgantown, WV?
If you are facing any of the above criminal charges or any charges that are not on the list, you need to act fast to protect your future. Not only is the course of your life at stake but so is the future of your loved ones.
For example, if you are convicted of a felony theft charge, you could go to prison for several years, leaving your loved ones to go about their lives without you. After you serve your sentence, you may very well find it difficult to secure a job, repair strained relationships, and undo the damage to your reputation. The right Morgantown criminal defense attorney can help you fight against this fate.
When you get in touch with a criminal defense attorney, they will immediately start closely examining the facts involved in your case. After a critical review, they will also discuss your questions, concerns, and desires with you to craft a strategic plan of legal action. If you decide to plead guilty, your lawyer will do everything in their power to negotiate a light sentence so you can put this behind you as soon as possible.
On the other hand, if you plead not guilty, then your lawyer will leave no stone unturned in securing strong evidence that defends your position and creating a compelling argument to deliver in court. Additionally, if your case does not result in a favorable outcome, your lawyer can work on an appeal to give you another chance at a positive result.
Contact a Capable, Dedicated Morgantown Criminal Lawyer Today
Facing criminal charges can be scary and even isolating at times. You might feel like people are judging you or working against you. You do not have to handle this by yourself. I have extensive experience supporting Morgantown residents who have been accused of crimes, and I can respectfully listen to all of your needs and fiercely fight for your rights. Contact the Meadows Law Office today to find out more.